Troubleshooting website issues
We get reports from our community that various features of the site do not work as expected, only for it to turn out that the problem was actually the result of the reporter's choice in browser extensions and/or privacy settings. This article is intended to provide troubleshooting steps for most issues and a list of add-ons known to interfere with the normal operation of our website. As a general rule, the more "paranoid" your browser setup, the greater the chance is of encountering some kind of issue.
What problems could I encounter?
If you are encounter a problem matching or similar to those listed below, this article may provide a solution. Please note, this is not an exhaustive list.
- Downloads failing to start.
- Dynamic content (e.g. graphs, page tabs, search filters) not loading or responding to input.
- An error message when attempting to log in or register an account.
- Being logged out of the site frequently.
- Anomalies in page layout (missing sections, blank sections, etc).
- Downloaded files may be given an invalid file extension.
What should I try to resolve this?
The cause of the problem can be a browser add-on, security settings or your PC configuration.
Troubleshooting your browser
Try to replicate the problem you are having after doing each of the following. Please note, we officially support the following browsers: Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Edge, Opera, Yandex, Chome Mobile and Safari Mobile.
- Use a different browser. This will help you work out if the problem is related to your primary browser or your PC configuration.
- Try a private browsing session (sometimes called incognito mode). Private browser disables some of your extensions and - in most cases - uses the default settings for security.
- Temporarily disable all add-ons you have installed in your browser. If this works, try turning them back on a few at a time until it stops working again. This will help you find the culprit.
- If you are still having the same problem with add-ons disabled. Review your browser settings, specifically those concerning content and security.
Troubleshooting your PC
If no changes to your browser improve the situation, there may be an issue with something else on your PC causing it. Please try the following:
- Review you anti-virus software. Some third party anti-virus solutions include additional "browser protection" which can manipulate the pages you are viewing. If you have this feature enabled, try disabling it.
- Attempt to replicate the error on a different device. It's often good to try this on a mobile device or tablet because portal devices tend to have less third party software directly influencing the web browsing experience.
- If possible, try again while connected to a different network (such as a mobile data plan). If this works, you may need to contact your ISP to troubleshoot further.
Extensions, software and settings known to cause issues
The following is a list of all the causes we found for the most common problems.
Graphs may never load.
Some tabs may not work.
Downloads may not start.
|Adblockers||AdBlock, uBlock, etc|| Page layout may appear to be broken.
Downloads may not start.
|"Enhanced Privacy" Add-ons||PrivacyBadger, Privacy Possum, Ghostery, Do Not Track, Fix Url Links Redirect, etc|| Dynamic content may fail to load.
Errors when logging in or registering.
|Browser settings||Privacy settings (cookies/tracking/etc)|| Login attempts may fail.
You may be asked to log in on every visit.
|Third-Party Anti-virus||Norton, McAfee, AVG, Avast, etc||Downloads may be blocked or renamed.|
|Script Injectors||Greasemonkey, Tampermonkey, Universal Bypass, etc|| Downloads may fail.
Other unexpected behaviour from potentially malicious scripts.
I found the solution to my problem!
That's great news. If you feel your problem isn't documented here, please do contact us (email@example.com) and we'll update this page to include your findings.
I'm still having problems.
If you have attempted the steps described in this article. It may be possible that you have encountered a genuine bug in our site. Please reach out to us (firstname.lastname@example.org) providing as much as information as you can so we can try to reproduce the issue.